WALDROP, TEXAS. Waldrop, a rural community eleven miles west of Carthage on Farm Road 1251 in western Panola County, was first settled after the Civil War. From the 1870s through the 1890s a school, known as Liles School after its teacher, operated in the area. Around 1900 the school was moved to a site on Murray Branch 1½ miles north of the site of present Waldrop cemetery. In 1908 the school was moved to the Dud Waldrop farm and renamed Waldrop School. The school operated until the 1930s, when it was consolidated with Beckville school. By the mid-1930s Waldrop also had a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War II many of the residents moved away, but in the early 1990s Waldrop still had a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses. No population estimates were available.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979). John Barnette Sanders, Index to the Cemeteries of Panola County (Center, Texas, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "WALDROP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrwaz), accessed July 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.