WALNUT HILL, TX
WALNUT HILL, TEXAS. Walnut Hill, sixteen miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County, was established in the 1840s. A post office opened there in 1849 and operated, with several brief interruptions, until 1880. At its height, just after the Civil War, the community had a general store, a cotton gin and mill, and a number of houses. In 1882 Walnut Hill reported an estimated population of forty. The town apparently declined, and by 1900 it was no longer shown on highway maps.
John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "WALNUT HILL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrwjk), accessed December 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.