WAYSIDE, TX (BASTROP COUNTY)
WAYSIDE, TEXAS (Bastrop County). Wayside was two miles west of McDade and three miles north of Oak Hill in northern Bastrop County. It was established by 1860 by German settlers. In 1905 Wayside had a one-teacher school for fifty-one students. The school burned in 1924, and a new building was constructed to replace it. Much of the area included in the Wayside school district was taken over by Camp Swift in the early 1940s; the Wayside school was consolidated with the McDade independent district in 1949. No evidence of the community appeared on county highway maps by the 1940s.
William Henry Korges, Bastrop County, Texas: Historical and Educational Development (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1933).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "WAYSIDE, TX (BASTROP COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrwnx), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.