WEAVER, TX (KINNEY COUNTY)
WEAVER, TEXAS (Kinney County). Weaver was near Lost Springs eleven miles southwest of Camp Wood in northeastern Kinney County. The community was probably named for the Weaver family who constructed a log home near the spring in 1884. A school house built the same year was the focus of the Weaver school district and was attended by the Sprott, Yancy, Herndon, and Weaver children during its early years of operation. Records indicate that twenty students attended the one-teacher Weaver School in 1897. The school was discontinued in 1901, when six students were in attendance. The Weaver School building was reconditioned and used as a hay barn on the Herndon Ranch until the mid-1970s. There is evidence that a cemetery was maintained in the community.
Gunnar Brune, Springs of Texas, Vol. 1 (Fort Worth: Branch-Smith, 1981). Kinney County: 125 Years of Growth, 1852–1977 (Brackettville, Texas: Kinney County Historical Society, 1977).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Ruben E. Ochoa, "WEAVER, TX (KINNEY COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrwwn), accessed September 03, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.