WALNUT GROVE, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)
WALNUT GROVE, TEXAS (Panola County). Walnut Grove, off U.S. Highway 59 five miles northeast of Carthage in northern Panola County, was probably established after the Civil War. A school was in operation by 1897, when it had an enrollment of thirty-two black students. In the mid-1930s Walnut Grove had two schools, a store, and a number of houses. During the 1940s the school was consolidated with Carthage school. In the mid-1960s two churches, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses still remained in the area. In the early 1990s Walnut Grove was a dispersed rural community.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "WALNUT GROVE, TX (PANOLA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrwxj), accessed April 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.