WYNDER, TEXAS. Wynder, a rural community four miles west of Carthage on U.S. Highway 79 in central Panola County, was settled after the Civil War. A school was founded prior to 1878; by 1900 it had an enrollment of nearly fifty. In the mid-1930s the small community had a store, a church, a cemetery, a school, and a number of houses. In the 1940s the school was consolidated with the Carthage school, and by the mid-1960s only a cemetery and a few scattered dwellings still remained in the area. No population estimates were available.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "WYNDER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrwxq), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.