ZUNKERVILLE, TEXAS. Zunkerville, located on State Highway 72 twelve miles west of Kenedy in the southwestern corner of Karnes County, was named after H. R. Zunker, who settled there in 1916 and built a store and a cotton gin for the surrounding farming community. In 1948 maps indicated a number of residences, businesses, a school, and a church. In 1961 Zunkerville had a population of seventy. Only the ruins of the cotton gin remained in 1990. In 2000 the population was fifteen.
Robert H. Thonhoff, History of Karnes County (M.A. Thesis, Southwest Texas State College, 1963).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert H. Thonhoff, "ZUNKERVILLE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrz02), accessed July 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.