ANTIOCH, TX (LEE COUNTY)
ANTIOCH, TEXAS (Lee County). Antioch is eleven miles east of Giddings on Farm Road 141 in southeastern Lee County. The community was settled during Reconstruction when the offer of inexpensive land brought blacks from Washington, Burleson, and Fayette counties. Antioch quickly became the largest black community in Lee County. Some of the settlers supplemented their income, which presumably came from farming, by working periodically at neighborhood plantations such as Black's Quarter. The post office, general store, and cotton gin at nearby Nunnsville served residents of Antioch. The Antioch Juneteenth celebration was held at the Mays Road Park with all-day festivities. In 1898 the Antioch school had 156 students. Church services were also held in the one-room schoolhouse until the congregation built the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church. In 1953 the Antioch school was consolidated with that of Post Oak. The Antioch Missionary Baptist Church continued to serve afterward as the center of the community.
Lee County Historical Survey Committee, A History of Lee County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Nolan Thompson, "ANTIOCH, TX (LEE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hta06), accessed September 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 9, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.