BECKHAM, TEXAS. Beckham, six miles north of Sulphur Springs and two miles west of State highways 19 and 154 in north central Hopkins County, was named for early settlers Riley and John Beckham. John Barker settled at the site in 1864. A post office operated there from 1899 until 1904 with John S. Haggard as postmaster. In the mid-1930s Beckham had a church, a school, and a number of scattered dwellings. The school later was consolidated with the North Hopkins school district, and by the late 1980s only the church marked the site of the community.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.J. E. Jennings, "BECKHAM, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htb09), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.