BLACKOAK, TEXAS. Blackoak (Black Oak), at the junction of Farm roads 69 and 269 in southeastern Hopkins County, was named for its location in a forest of black oak. The area was first settled around 1850. In the mid-1850s David Attaway, an early settler, donated land for a church, and a local post office was established in 1854 under the name Black Oak with David H. Campbell as postmaster. By 1885 the community had a district school, Methodist and Baptist churches, and a population of 100. In 1905 the community had two public schools, one for white children that had forty-eight students that year, and one for black children that had thirty. The post office closed in 1905, and in 1933 the town had a population of twenty-four and one business. In 1936 the community comprised two churches, a cemetery, a school, and a number of scattered dwellings. After World War II the school was closed, and most of the residents moved away. In the mid-1960s Blackoak had a church, a cemetery, and a number of scattered farmhouses. In 1988 a church and cemetery were still at the site.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BLACKOAK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htb12), accessed March 06, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.