BLAKENEY, TEXAS. Blakeney, a mile south of the Red River in north central Red River County, was begun in the early 1850s and developed around a store, which was operated by M. C. Albudy in 1890. A local post office was established with M. B. Yarbrough as postmaster in 1904 and replaced by rural delivery in 1918. The population of Blakeney was 100 in 1910; in 1940 one business and a population of twenty-five were reported. In 1984 Blakeney consisted of widely scattered houses and no businesses.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "BLAKENEY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htb13), accessed September 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.