BOLD SPRINGS, TX
BOLD SPRINGS, TEXAS. Bold Springs is on Farm roads 350 and 942 eighty-five miles north of Houston in west central Polk County. One of a series of small communities known collectively as the Louisiana Settlement, Bold Springs was established during the 1840s and named after the springs in the area. A Baptist church was organized there in 1849. The community subsequently had a small turpentine distillery. The Bold Springs post office was known as Nettie, after the postmistress, Nettie Burgess, and operated from 1903 to 1923. A few scattered residences and a church remained in 1984. In 1990 the population was 100.
A Pictorial History of Polk County, Texas, 1846–1910 (Livingston, Texas: Polk County Bicentennial Commission, 1976; rev. ed. 1978).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "BOLD SPRINGS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htb17), accessed January 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.