CENTENNIAL, TEXAS. Centennial, on Farm Road 123 sixteen miles northeast of Carthage in eastern Panola County, was established before 1850. The community's first school, founded around 1867, also served as a church. A post office operated in Centennial from 1875 until 1913. By the early 1890s the town had two general stores, a grist and saw mill, and a population of thirty. In 1906 it had a school with an enrollment of seventeen white students and another school with an enrollment of ninety-seven black students. By the mid-1930s Centennial had a store, a cemetery, and a number of houses. Its estimated population in 1936 was fifty. The Centennial schools were consolidated first with Midyett and later with Carthage schools, and by the mid-1960s only a cemetery and a few houses remained in the area. In the early 1990s Centennial was a dispersed community.
Leila B. LaGrone, ed., History of Panola County (Carthage, Texas: Panola County Historical Commission, 1979). John Barnette Sanders, Postoffices and Post Masters of Panola County, Texas, 1845–1930 (Center, Texas, 1964).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "CENTENNIAL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htc04), accessed December 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.