DANT, TEXAS. Dant was a rural community on the east bank of Piney Creek three miles northwest of Bellville in central Austin County. Settlement in the vicinity began in the late 1830s, but the town itself was founded about 1846 on the John Wesley Kenney survey. The Bellville-Brenham spur of the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway was extended through the township about 1880. The town appears to have declined rapidly in the early 1900s, and it was soon abandoned. The Ueckert cemetery east of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe rail line marks the former townsite.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles Christopher Jackson, "DANT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htd04), accessed January 27, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.