DARDEN, TX (BOWIE COUNTY)
DARDEN, TEXAS (Bowie County). Darden, off U.S. Highway 67 fifteen miles southwest of Boston in southwestern Bowie County, lies in the low hills of the Sulphur Fork of the Red River. The settlement was called Brownstone, for Randolph H. Brown, when it was established on the St. Louis Southwestern Railway of Texas in the late 1890s. A post office was granted to the community in 1911. The office was renamed Darden in 1917, then discontinued in 1927. In 1940 Darden had a store and a population of ten; mail was delivered from Bassett, two miles to the northeast. In 1984 only scattered houses remained in the area.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Claudia Hazlewood, "DARDEN, TX (BOWIE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htd05), accessed July 26, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.