DINKINS, TEXAS. Dinkins was on White Switch Road, which runs north to south between Farm roads 2154 and 159, four miles west of Navasota in southern Brazos County. The area was included in Stephen F. Austin's original colony, though it was not settled until the 1850s. The settlement developed as a stop on the International-Great Northern railroad when it built through Brazos County in the early 1900s. It had a post office from 1913 to 1931. G. W. Dunlap was postmaster and general-store owner, and the name submitted for the community was Dunlap; but through a mistake the name was recorded as Dinkins. The population in 1915 was twenty-five, where it remained until the train stopped running in the late 1940s. During that period Dinkins had a grocery store, the train stop, and a school, which was eventually absorbed by the Millican and Allen Farm schools. The International-Great Northern tracks were taken up in 1965–66. In 1990 the area was farmland.
Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christina L. Gray, "DINKINS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htd14), accessed October 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.