DUNAGAN, TEXAS. Dunagan (Dunagin) was seven miles east of what is now Lufkin and five miles northwest of what became Huntington near the center of Angelina County. It was named for Isaac Dunagan and was settled in the early 1840s before Angelina County was established. The county's first commissioners' court met at Isaac Dunagan's home in 1846. The Dunagan community, along with Moses Bluff, was up for consideration to be the county seat after the Texas legislature established Angelina County in April 1846. An election resulted in twenty-six votes for Moses Bluff and two for Dunagan. A second election, held to appease dissatisfied citizens, resulted in thirty-nine votes for Moses Bluff (designated as River Place for its location on the Angelina River) and again, only two for Dunagan (called Center for election purposes). The Dunagan community faded, and no further mention was made of it in local histories. In the mid-1980s a railroad siding in the vicinity was known as Dunagan.
Archie Birdsong Mathews, The Economic Development of Angelina County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "DUNAGAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htd20), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.