EBONY, TEXAS. Ebony is twenty-three miles west of Goldthwaite in extreme western Mills County. The community, originally named Buffalo, was settled in the 1880s. In 1891, when residents applied for a post office, the name Buffalo was rejected. The town was then renamed Ebony, for Ebony Shaw, a local cowboy. Its post office opened on January 5, 1891, with Victoria Griffin as postmistress. Ebony grew to thirty-five residents by 1910 and to 113 by 1930, when the community had two businesses. By 1940, however, its population had declined to fifty; the post office was discontinued around 1945. By the late 1950s the community was virtually abandoned. Highway maps for the early 1980s show a cemetery and a community center at Ebony.
Flora Gatlin Bowles, A No Man's Land Becomes a County (Austin: Steck, 1958). Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Julius A. Amin, "EBONY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hte04), accessed April 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.