ELAM, TEXAS. Elam was on the Elam grant eight miles southeast of Dallas in southeastern Dallas County. It was established by Jesse Elam in the early 1880s on the Texas Trunk line, which was constructed through the area in 1881. In 1884 the settlement secured a post office and became known as Elam Station. By 1890 it had a general store and a population of twenty-five. In 1899 the name was changed to Elam, and in 1904 the post office was discontinued. In 1933 Elam had six businesses and a population of fifty. From 1939 to 1963 the population was 150. After 1963 the community was no longer listed.
Fred Tarpley, Place Names of Northeast Texas (Commerce: East Texas State University, 1969).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Matthew Hayes Nall, "ELAM, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hte07), accessed August 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.