FROSA, TEXAS. Frosa, just off Farm Road 1245 fourteen miles northwest of Groesbeck in central Limestone County, was first named when a post office was established in the community in 1877 with Frederick P. Morey as postmaster. At that time farming operations had moved from sandy areas nearby to the blackland surrounding Frosa, and the community had two churches, a gin, a school, and several businesses. It is evidently named for José Frosa, a landowner who settled on Christmas Creek in the early 1850s. By 1884 the settlement had seventy residents and a steam gristmill and cotton gin. Eight years later the population is reported to have reached 300, a flour mill was in operation, and farmers were raising hay and grain, in addition to cotton.
In 1896 Frosa had a school with one teacher and thirty-six white pupils and another with one teacher and twenty-seven black pupils. That year the population was 200, and Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian churches had been formed. After 1900 the community declined further, partly because no good roads went there. From 1925 to 1944 Frosa reported a population of fifty; five businesses were reported in 1931. Two chapels and eleven buildings were reported in 1960. The Baptist church disbanded in 1963 and turned its building over to the local black congregation. Frosa had joined the Groesbeck Independent School District by 1965, and in 1966 only twenty residents and no businesses remained. State highway maps of 1986 showed a church at the townsite; those of 1990 indicated only an abandoned building.
Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Holly Marshall, "FROSA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htf09), accessed March 04, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.