GUAJILLO, TEXAS. Guajillo was ten miles south of San Diego in eastern Duval County. The community was named for the nearby Guajillo Creek; guajillo grows abundantly in the area. The settlement was founded before 1906, when thirty-four pupils attended the Guajillo school. A post office was established there in 1913 with Gabriel Ramirez as postmaster. In 1925 the community's population was estimated at ten, and in 1929 as fifty. The post office was closed in 1935, and a year later the estimated population of Guajillo was only five. By the late 1930s the population had grown to twenty, and in 1947 Guajillo was reported to have two churches and two businesses. The Guajillo school had been consolidated with the San Diego Independent School District by 1968, and the community had only a few scattered dwellings. Guajillo by 1990 was no longer identified on maps of the area, though three cemeteries were shown at the site.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Martin Donell Kohout, "GUAJILLO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htg14), accessed May 23, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.