HOUSE, TEXAS. House, a rural community and rail stop twenty miles southeast of Richmond in eastern Fort Bend County, was named for the Thomas W. House plantation on the Sugar Land Railroad. The community was a stop on the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe in 1885. In 1909 a post office opened at House, but it closed in 1921. By 1914 House reported a population of seventy-five, as well as three general stores, a telephone connection, a cotton gin, and a sugar mill. In 1933 the town reported two businesses and an estimated 200 inhabitants, but its population had dwindled to sixty by the mid-1940s, after which statistics were unavailable. Though House was named on the 1984 county highway map, the map showed no structures at the site.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephen L. Hardin, "HOUSE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hth20), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.