JESTER, TEXAS. Jester is eleven miles southwest of Corsicana in west central Navarro County. It was established as a stop on the St. Louis and Southwestern Railway just after the railroad built through the area in the 1880s. The community was originally known as Switch, but when a post office opened there in 1899 the name was changed to Jester, after George Taylor Jester, a resident of Corsicana who served as lieutenant governor around that time. A school was in operation there by 1900, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of forty-seven. The Jester post office closed in 1909, reopened in 1923, and closed again sometime after 1930. In the mid-1930s Jester reported a population of ten and had a store, a church, and a few houses. After World War II its store and church closed, and its school was consolidated with that of Purdon. By the mid-1960s Jester was no longer shown on highway maps of the area. In 1990 only a few scattered houses remained there.
Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933). Wyvonne Putman, comp., Navarro County History (5 vols., Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975–84). Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "JESTER, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htj04), accessed December 04, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.