LILAC, TEXAS. Lilac, once known as Oak Point, is at the intersection of Farm roads 487 and 3061, in western Milam County ten miles north of Thorndale. A post office operated at Lilac from 1883 to 1905. In 1884 the community had a steam gristmill and cotton gin and 100 residents, and area farmers shipped cotton, hides, and grain. In 1903 Lilac had one school for thirty-two black students and two schools for ninety-seven white students. The Lilac schools were consolidated with the Sharp district in 1931. By the end of the 1930s the population of Lilac had fallen to forty. A church and two cemeteries marked the community on the 1988 county highway map.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "LILAC, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htl12), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.