LOST PRAIRIE, TX
LOST PRAIRIE, TEXAS. Lost Prairie is one mile south of State Highway 164 and three miles southwest of Personville in eastern Limestone County. It was named Lost Prairie because its site was a clear space in the middle of a timber region. Several families moved to the area in the 1850s, establishing a church and a popular boarding school. A Masonic lodge operated at Lost Prairie from 1861 until 1889. During the mid-1890s the community served as the focus of a small school district, in which seventy-three students were enrolled. Probably during the 1930s, it became part of the Fair Oaks rural high school district. A church and a few scattered houses marked the community on county highway maps in the late 1940s; a population of two was reported in 1990.
Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "LOST PRAIRIE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htl19), accessed September 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.