MACEDONIA, TX (LIBERTY COUNTY)
MACEDONIA, TEXAS (Liberty County). Macedonia was five miles northeast of the junction of State Highway 321 and Farm Road 1008 sixteen miles northwest of Liberty in northern Liberty County. In 1914 a Chicago syndicate purchased 12,000 acres near the Beaumont, Sour Lake and Western Railway. Hoping to establish a colony of Greek immigrants to raise truck crops to supply Houston and Galveston markets, the syndicate founded the community of Macedonia, which was named for a Baptist church organized there in 1845. Although a number of Greeks were indeed employed at area sawmills, the colony never materialized as planned. The post office, established in 1915, was discontinued in 1922. Subsequent population estimates ranged from fifteen to twenty-five. In 1952 the population of Macedonia was reported to be predominantly black. Topographical maps indicate that only a few scattered buildings and a church remained in 1984.
Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).