MACON, TEXAS. Macon is at the junction of Farm roads 21 and 3007, eight miles from Mount Vernon in southeastern Franklin County. Although settlement in the area began much earlier, a village did not begin to develop here until the 1880s. A post office was established in 1891. By 1896 the settlement had a store, a mill, a gin, a blacksmith shop, and a population estimated at twenty-five. The post office was closed in 1906, but the village remained a gathering place for local farmers. During the 1930s the dispersed community contained a school, two churches, a store, a cemetery, and a population estimated at seventy-five. Macon began to decline following World War II, and by 1985 only the cemetery, one church, and widely scattered houses remained.
Billy Hicks and Doris Meek, comps., Historical Records of Franklin County, Texas (Mount Vernon, Texas: Franklin County Historical Survey Committee, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Cecil Harper, Jr., "MACON, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htm03), accessed May 22, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.