MOUNT OLIVE, TX (MILLS COUNTY)
MOUNT OLIVE, TEXAS (Mills County). Mount Olive was at the site of the mountain from which its gets its name, ten miles northeast of Goldthwaite in eastern Mills County. The community was established in 1877; early settlers included John Neal, J. J. Wilcox, and Thomas Huckabee, Sr. At its height, the Mount Olive community had a store, a school, and several churches. The community declined rapidly in the first part of the 1900s, but its school remained until 1947, when it was consolidated with those of Goldthwaite. By the 1980s Mount Olive had been abandoned.
Flora Gatlin Bowles, A No Man's Land Becomes a County (Austin: Steck, 1958).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Julius A. Amin, "MOUNT OLIVE, TX (MILLS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htm26), accessed January 29, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.