MUSTANG, TX (LIMESTONE COUNTY)
MUSTANG, TEXAS (Limestone County). Mustang was an unincorporated black farming community on Farm Road 73 fifteen miles northwest of Groesbeck in northwest Limestone County. The settlement on Mustang Creek reported two stores in 1931 and had a population of fifteen from 1933 to 1944. It was a school district as late as 1936 and had one business and a school in 1946. Though the site was still populated in 1959, no population estimates were available after 1948. Mustang Chapel was built by 1960, and by 1965 the town school had joined the Coolidge Independent School District. State highway maps of 1986 showed a church remaining at the townsite.
Ray A. Walter, A History of Limestone County (Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Holly Marshall, "MUSTANG, TX (LIMESTONE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htm28), accessed May 25, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.