OAK FLATS, TX
OAK FLATS, TEXAS. Oak Flats, once known as Oak Flat, was three miles southeast of Laneville in south central Rusk County. It was on a mail route from Mount Enterprise along the Angelina River. From the 1880s to at least the 1960s a general store, church, and cemetery were maintained, and there was a school in the community in 1948. The Smyrna Baptist Church, organized in 1873, built a sanctuary in Oak Flats in 1907 which was still standing along Farm Road 2496 in 2004. No population was reported for the community in 2000.
Dorman H. Winfrey, A History of Rusk County (Waco: Texian, 1961).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "OAK FLATS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hto01), accessed December 08, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.