ORRS, TEXAS. Orrs (Orrville) is a rural community in northwestern Marion County, eleven miles northwest of Jefferson and one mile west of Lassater on the Louisiana and Arkansas Railway. Charles E. Orr, who operated a general store at the site, opened a post office in his store in 1881, and the community and post office were named Orrville. The population of the community was estimated at thirty in 1884. The post office was closed in 1897, and sometime thereafter the town became known as Orrs. In the 1930s a school and several houses were at the site, and in 1961 Orrs had several scattered dwellings. In 1983 Orrs was still identified on state highway maps as a railroad station.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mark Odintz, "ORRS, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hto11), accessed November 24, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.