PEAVY, TEXAS. Peavy, or Peavy Switch, on the Texas South-Eastern Railroad in Angelina County, was the location of one of several small sawmills constructed in the vicinity of Lufkin during the 1880s. The site, four miles southwest of Lufkin near the junction of Farm roads 1194 and 1271, was named for members of the extensive Peavy family, which came to the Lufkin area from Alabama. Anderson Jasper Peavy was a well-known Angelina County and Louisiana lumberman. Peavy's population was 100 in 1904. In 1930 the Peavy Switch school district was united, along with those of Providence and Happy Hour, with the Hudson Consolidated Common School District west of Lufkin.
Angelina County Historical Survey Committee, Land of the Little Angel: A History of Angelina County, Texas, ed. Bob Bowman (Lufkin, Texas: Lufkin Printing, 1976). Archie Birdsong Mathews, The Economic Development of Angelina County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1952).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Megan Biesele, "PEAVY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htp03), accessed August 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.