PETTIT, TX (COMANCHE COUNTY)
PETTIT, TEXAS (Comanche County). Pettit, ten miles southeast of Comanche in Comanche County, was originally called Fleming for Mart V. Fleming, who settled there in 1872. The name was changed in 1929 to honor John P. Pettit, a merchant who had settled in the area in 1867; in 1886 he donated the land for the first school. The community reported no businesses after 1930. An abandoned stone icehouse, which once accompanied a store, was the only reminder of the town in 1967.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Margaret Tate Waring, "PETTIT, TX (COMANCHE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htp09), accessed August 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.