RAMARITO, TEXAS. Ramarito is east of State Highway 1017 and thirty-eight miles south of Hebbronville in southeastern Jim Hogg County. It is one of the oldest Mexican-American communities in the county; settlement began in the vicinity shortly after the founding of Laredo in 1759. The first permanent settlement at the site was established in the 1880s. A. Ramirez opened his ranch headquarters there. The town was named Ramarito instead of Ramirez because a Ramirez community already existed in Duval County. The Ramarito post office was established in 1922 and discontinued in 1957. In 1940 Ramarito reported a population of twenty and one store. In the 1980s the town was identified in some sources as the Ramarito Ranch.
Fred Tarpley, 1001 Texas Place Names (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Justin Lee Elmore, "RAMARITO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htr01), accessed March 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.