SALTY, TEXAS. Salty, midway between Farm Road 486 and Farm Road 1786 and eight miles southwest of Rockdale in southern Milam County, was settled in 1860 and named for nearby Salty Creek. Thompson Chapel was the first church at Salty, but a new church was built in 1871. Salty became a voting precinct in 1886, and a post office was in operation there from 1894 to 1909. In 1903 Salty had a one-teacher school for twenty-eight black students and two one-teacher schools for seventy-eight white students. The schools were consolidated with the Thorndale Independent School District in 1950. The church at Salty was rebuilt in 1950, and an annual homecoming celebration was initiated in 1959. In the 1980s county highway maps showed a church, a community hall, and a cemetery at Salty.
Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, "SALTY, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hts02), accessed September 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.