SNAP, TEXAS. Snap, a farming community off State Highway 315 six miles southwest of Carthage in southwestern Panola County, was settled after the Civil War and named for Snap Cariker, a physician and early resident. A post office operated there from 1899 to 1906, when local mail was sent to Carthage. In the mid-1930s Snap consisted of a store, a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses; the community reported seven residents in 1936. After World War II its store closed and the church was disbanded. By the early 1990s only a cemetery and a few scattered dwellings remained.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SNAP, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hts13), accessed February 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.