SOULES CHAPEL, TX
SOULES CHAPEL, TEXAS. Soules Chapel, on Farm Road 556 ten miles northwest of Gilmer in northwestern Upshur County, grew up around a Methodist church established in the early 1880s named for a Methodist bishop. A school was in operation there by the turn of the century, and in 1906 it had an enrollment of eighty-six students. In the mid-1930s the community had a school, a store, the Methodist church, a cemetery, and a number of houses; the estimated population in 1936 was ten. After World War II the school was consolidated with the Harmony district, and by the mid-1960s only the church, a cemetery, and a few houses remained. In 1990 Soules Chapel was a dispersed rural community for which no recent population estimates were available.
G. H. Baird, A Brief History of Upshur County (Gilmer, Texas: Gilmer Mirror, 1946). Doyal T. Loyd, A History of Upshur County (Gilmer, Texas: Gilmer Mirror, 1966). Audie Ray, Lurline, and Douglas Ray Stanley, comps. and eds., Upshur County Cemetery Records (Gilmer, Texas, 1974).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "SOULES CHAPEL, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hts16), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.