SOUTHMOST, TEXAS. Southmost is off Farm Road 1419 seven miles southeast of Brownsville in extreme southern Cameron County. The area was part of the Potrero de San Martín grant received by José Ygnacio de Treviño from Mexico in 1827. It was disputed territory during the Mexican War and the Civil War. In 1948 it was the Brulay plantation. The Mexican population in the area grew citrus fruit and winter vegetables. In 1962 Southmost was known as a name without a town because it was not officially recognized. Six local ranches were Southmost Ranch, Stark Place, Frank Rabb Ranch (also known as Las Palmas), Old Brown Place, Louis Brulay Place, and Grover Singer Ranch. By 1976 the community was officially recognized as an unnamed colonia; it had twenty-three dwellings and an estimated population of 187. In 1979 the colonia had an estimated ninety-nine families. In 1990 Southmost had a cemetery and various dwellings.
Colonias in the Lower Rio Grande Valley of South Texas: A Summary Report (Policy Research Project Report No. 18, Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs, University of Texas at Austin, 1977). Michael V. Miller, Economic Growth and Change along the U.S.-Mexican Border (Bureau of Business Research, University of Texas at Austin, 1982). San Antonio Express, December 12, 1948. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "SOUTHMOST, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hts17), accessed March 10, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.