SYCAMORE, TX (WISE COUNTY)
SYCAMORE, TEXAS (Wise County). Sycamore is on Farm Road 1204 eight miles northeast of Decatur in northeast Wise County. The site was settled in the latter part of the nineteenth century and named for the abundance of sycamore trees that covered the area. By the mid-1890s the community had a cotton gin, two churches, two general stores, and a blacksmith shop. On August 17, 1894, a post office was established with Davis S. Cox as postmaster. By the 1920s both the town and the once prevalent trees had declined. In 1902 postal service was discontinued. Beginning in the mid-1920s businesses and residents moved away. The school disbanded, and the cotton gin was moved to Decatur to be close to the railroad. One of the two churches, the Church of Christ, was moved to Decatur as well. Although Sycamore once had over fifty residents, the population has not exceeded twenty since the mid-1940s.
Rosalie Gregg, ed., Wise County History (Vol. 1, n.p: Nortex, 1975; Vol. 2, Austin: Eakin, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "SYCAMORE, TX (WISE COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hts26), accessed September 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.