TREVAT, TEXAS. Trevat, a farming community on Farm Road 2262 twelve miles northeast of Groveton in eastern Trinity County, was first settled before the Civil War by Thomas L. Trevathan and his family. A small settlement developed near the Trevathan homestead in the late 1800s and was known as Trevat, a shortened version of the family name. A post office was established there in 1892, and by 1896 the community had three churches, a school, a flour mill and gin, a general store, and a reported population of 120. Its population reached 300 by 1925, but it began to decline in the late 1920s. The post office was closed in 1927, and the school was disbanded around the time of World War II. In the early 1990s Trevat was a dispersed rural community with a church, a cemetery, and a few scattered houses. No recent population estimates are available.
Patricia B. and Joseph W. Hensley, eds., Trinity County Beginnings (Groveton, Texas: Trinity County Book Committee, 1986). Trinity County Historical Commission, Trinity County Cemeteries (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "TREVAT, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htt07), accessed December 09, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.