TUPELO, TEXAS. Tupelo, a farming community on Farm Road 1603 seven miles northeast of Corsicana in northeastern Navarro County, was first settled around the time of the Civil War and was named for Tupelo, Mississippi. A post office operated there from 1901 to 1906. During the mid-1930s Tupelo had two churches, a school, a cotton gin, a store, and a number of houses; the estimated population in 1936 was twenty-five. After World War II most of the residents moved away, and by the mid-1960s only a church and scattered houses remained. No recent population estimates are available.
Annie Carpenter Love, History of Navarro County (Dallas: Southwestern, 1933). Alva Taylor, History and Photographs of Corsicana and Navarro County (Corsicana, Texas, 1959; rev. ed., Navarro County History and Photographs, Corsicana, 1962).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "TUPELO, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htt09), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.