VIOLA, TX (NUECES COUNTY)
VIOLA, TEXAS (Nueces County). Viola is located in northern Nueces County on the San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf Railroad and the far west extension of the Corpus Christi Ship Channel. This area is now referred to as the Viola Turning Basin. The townsite was established in 1912 and named after Viola McGregor Emmert of Corpus Christi. It was an oil refinery center, and in 1947 it had a population of fifty. In 1968 Suntide Refining Company had purchased or was planning to purchase the old lots just west of its property at an average of $314 per lot.
Nueces County Historical Society, History of Nueces County (Austin: Jenkins, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.James N. Campbell, "VIOLA, TX (NUECES COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htv06), accessed March 09, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.