ZYBACH, TEXAS. Zybach, on a mail route from Briscoe in northern Wheeler County, was named for John B. Zybach, who brought his family of Swiss immigrants from Kansas to farm the area in 1909. He also opened a general store. In 1910 he established a post office and sought to attract other homesteaders. During its peak, from 1910 to 1920, the town had two grocery stores, a service station and garage, a cafe, a gristmill, a cotton gin, a blacksmith shop, two churches, and several residences. The population reached as high as 120. After the Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway built south of Zybach in 1929, the town experienced a rapid decline. Only ten residents were reported in 1930, and around 1931 the post office was closed. Although there were two houses and a repair shop in Zybach in 1976, the community as such has ceased to exist.
Sallie B. Harris, Cowmen and Ladies: A History of Hemphill County (Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1977). F. Stanley, Rodeo Town (Canadian, Texas) (Denver: World, 1953).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "ZYBACH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/htz02), accessed October 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.