APPLEGATE, TEXAS. Applegate was on the Gulf, Beaumont and Great Northern Railway between Roganville and Jasper in east central Jasper County, about sixty-eight miles north of Beaumont. The railroad was extended north from Roganville into northern Jasper County in 1901–02, thus opening large expanses of timberland to major lumbering operations. As part of this expansion the Jasper Lumber Company, of which H. D. Applegate was an officer, began to acquire large amounts of land in Jasper County. The stop named after Applegate was established sometime after 1905. The Jasper Lumber Company was reorganized as the Texas and Ohio Lumber Company and had extensive property rights in the area as well as 2½ miles of tram lines. The mill at Applegate, however, did not succeed as well as many others in the county. The company went into receivership, and the Applegate post office was discontinued in 1909. The mill at Applegate, which once had a population of about 300, was removed in 1912. Highway and geological survey maps of the 1980s did not designate the site.
Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "APPLEGATE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hva24), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.