AUDRA, TEXAS. Audra was on Farm Road 1086 1½ miles west of Highway 83 in south central Taylor County. Around the turn of the century a general store was opened there by C. Meno Hunt, Fred Robinson, and Frank Sheppard; Sheppard named the town after his daughter. A school had been established in 1894 one mile southwest of Audra and called South Bluff Creek School and then Red Lake School. A community existed by June 24, 1900, when a post office began operation. It was joined in 1905 by a store operated by Meno Hunt. In that year Audra had a population of about seventy-five with two stores, the post office, a school, and a church in which both Baptists and Methodists worshipped. In response to the coming of the railroad the residents of Audra moved eastward in 1909 to found the new town of Bradshaw. Audra lives on as the name of a general store in Bradshaw, operated by a descendant of its founder.
Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, The Encyclopedia of Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas, 1982). Juanita Daniel Zachry, A History of Rural Taylor County (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1980).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Eugene Perry, "AUDRA, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvatt), accessed December 04, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.