BALCH, TEXAS. Balch was a mile southwest of the Lubbock county line on U.S. Highway 62/82 and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway in southeast Hockley County. The settlement was named for A. P. Balch, a director of the railroad from 1868 to 1871. It served area farmers as a shipping station. Although Balch remained on county maps of the 1980s, a grain elevator and several abandoned buildings are all that remains.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Charles G. Davis, "BALCH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb04), accessed May 18, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.