BARTONSITE, TEXAS. Bartonsite, a ghost town in southwestern Hale County, was platted in 1907 on the expectation of a Santa Fe line from Plainview to Lubbock. The Barton Ranch community reached a population of 250 by 1909, but the rails were not laid through the area. Most buildings were moved to Abernathy, thirteen miles to the southeast. The post office closed in 1921.
Ed Ellsworth Bartholomew, 800 Texas Ghost Towns (Fort Davis, Texas: Frontier, 1971).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.William R. Hunt, "BARTONSITE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb15), accessed August 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.