BATEMAN, TEXAS. Bateman, two miles south of Red Rock in southern Bastrop County, was established in the early 1880s and named for one of the original settlers. With the coming of the railroad a few years later, the community became a shipping point, and in 1900 a post office was established with William S. Friar, Jr., as postmaster. At the end of 1904 the post office closed. In the 1930s Bateman had two businesses, a population of fifty, and a two-room school. The population estimate remained at fifty through 1948. Bateman was still listed as a community in 1990, but without population figures.
William Henry Korges, Bastrop County, Texas: Historical and Educational Development (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1933).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Paula Mitchell Marks, "BATEMAN, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb17), accessed May 19, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.