BEAR CREEK, TX (SAN JACINTO COUNTY)
BEAR CREEK, TEXAS (San Jacinto County). Bear Creek was on Farm Road 1725 in southwestern San Jacinto County, fifty-seven miles north of Houston. The area was settled by 1870; included among its early inhabitants were Pete McShan, J. H. Ellis, Dee McIlvan, and William Moody. Many early residents came from Alabama and cleared farms from the dense underbrush and thick woods. A local post office, known as Drury, served residents from 1890 to 1909, when it was discontinued and mail sent to Maynard. Numerous gravel pits now mark the surrounding countryside.
Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Robert Wooster, "BEAR CREEK, TX (SAN JACINTO COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb23), accessed July 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.