BERWICK, TEXAS. Berwick, originally Jeannette, was ten miles west of Jacksboro in central western Jack County. The first settlers arrived in the area in the mid-1880s, and by 1885 the community had its own post office. Jeannette was renamed Berwick by 1910, when the Gulf, Texas and Western Railroad arrived. Berwick was intended to serve as a flag stop for the railroad and developed into a retail point for area ranchers. A general store, blacksmith shop, and cotton gin served the estimated thirty-five residents in 1914. That year the post office was discontinued, and the mail was brought in from Jacksboro. Berwick was unable to compete with Jacksboro after the construction of U.S. Highway 281 and State Highway 66. By the late 1940s the community was abandoned.
Jack County Scrapbook, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "BERWICK, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hvb49), accessed April 17, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.